Who said you can't make your own cheese? This is the easiest and yummiest cheese recipe you can make at home....trust us! Add a big drizzle of Gordo's Honey Heat and put it all on top of a large, toasted slice of pumpernickel, you will be in heaven!
- 2 litres 3.25% whole milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup 33% whipping cream
- 5 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- Fresh pumpernickel bread
- Special Equipment: cheese cloth
- In a large sauce pot, combine milk, buttermilk, whipping cream, salt and heat while stirring until the temperature reaches approximately 185° - 190°. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
- Slowly add the vinegar one Tablespoon at a time while very slowly stirring. You will see and feel the curds forming - let them clump up and get thick. This process should take approximately 5 minutes. Let sit and cool down for another 10 minutes not touching it.
- Drape a strainer or colander with three layers of damp cheese cloth. Ensure cheese cloth is draped over the edges. Slowly pour in the curd mixture to drain the liquid whey. Let it cool in colander for 10 minutes.
- Tie the cheese cloth tightly and hang over your sink or a bowl for 45 minutes to let the cheese continue to drip excess whey. Feel free to give it a helping squeeze occasionally.
- Slice a fresh piece of pumpernickel bread and toast.
- Place a healthy helping of your delicious cheese on the toast and drizzle with Gordo's Honey Heat and enjoy!
- Store cheese in non-metallic container in the fridge.
- Normally here we would inform you to store it up to 5 days, but we all know it will be gone in 24 hours!