Full disclosure: Not the easiest, quickest or least expensive recipe....but this incredibly awesome tasting Greek dessert will blow everyone's mind. Be prepared for a fight for the last piece!
INGREDIENTS - BAKLAVA
- 6 oz coarsely chopped almonds
- 6 oz coarsely chopped walnuts
- 6 oz coarsely chopped pistachios
- 1 1/2 - 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 16 oz phyllo dough package, thawed
INGREDIENTS - HONEY HEAT SYRUP
- 1 cup Gordo's Honey Heat - Honey & Chili Pepper
- 1 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- juice from 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- For the Honey Heat syrup: heat the water and sugar in a saucepan on the stove stirring until sugar dissolves. Add the Gordo's Honey Heat, orange rind, cardamom and cloves, stir to mix together and bring to a boil. When boiling, lower heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Remove whole cloves and add lemon juice. Set aside.
- For the nut mixture: pulse in a food processor a few times the almonds, walnuts and pistachios. Place in large mixing bowl and add cinnamon, ground cloves and sugar. Combine together.
- For the phyllo pastry: unroll and place on a soft surface (tea towels)
- Brush melted butter in a 9"x13"x2" baking pan. Place one phyllo sheet on the bottom of the pan and trim excess (feel free to fold the phyllo in half and use that as a layer). Brush the top with melted butter. Repeat the process until 30% of the phyllo is used.
- Spread 1/2 of the nut mixture evenly over the top layer.
- Continue adding another 30% of the phyllo pastry (no nuts) as above brushing each layer with melted butter.
- Spread the remaining 1/2 of the nut mixture over the top layer.
- Finish the last 30% of the phyllo the same as before brushing each layer with melted butter including the top layer.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut the Baklava into individual sized pieces (traditional cut is in triangles).
- Place baking pan in middle of the oven baking between 35-45 minutes until top of Baklava is golden brown and toothpick inserted into Baklava comes out clean. Stay close to your oven after the 25 minute mark to not overcook.
- Remove Baklava from oven and immediately pour the cooled Honey Heat syrup all over the Baklava.
- Allow to cool and serve with some crushed pistachios on top. This is a good one....Enjoy!